Dietetic Internship Overview
Supervised Practice Experiences
- Begins in the middle of August
- 9 ½ month program with a focus on urban issues: Students will have numerous experiences focusing on urban issues with diverse populations at Hartford Hospital, (http://www.harthosp.org/) an inner city hospital with numerous outpatient clinics, such as, AIDS, the Brownstone (medical and surgical services for clinic patients), Diabetes Life Care, Women’s Health, Cancer Center, Bariatric Center, Institute of Living (IOL – psychiatric facility); the patient menu feeding a diverse population; SNAP-Ed; and working with hospital employees.
- Nutrition therapy rotations at Hartford Hospital include Medicine, surgery, critical care, endocrinology, nephrology, cardiology, neurology, pulmonary, trauma, geriatrics, orthopedics, oncology, organ transplant + 2 weeks staff relief.
- Outpatient experiences include a variety of practice experiences, such as, a bariatric center, diabetes life care, dialysis, women’s health, HIV, cancer, medical & surgical clinics, and psychiatry.
- Long term care is a two week rotation in a skilled nursing facility.
- Food service- experience a cook chill system, be involved in food production, patient trayline, catering, purchasing, and a theme meal.
- School food service.
- Community/public health rotation is with SNAP-Ed projects. These include WIC, Headstart/school readiness programs, experiences in Title 1 schools, and elderly nutrition programs.
- Wellness experience.
- See research first hand by working on a research project for three week.
- Student loans may be deferred while enrolled in the program
- Student loans may be available.