Academic Advising during COVID-19
The Allied Health Sciences Academic Advising Center is committed to continuing our mission to provide student-centered services during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we will be following safety protocols issued by UConn and the State of Connecticut. Please reach out to email@example.com with questions or concerns. Please see information below on how to make advising appointments.
Here are some helpful links to reference as you navigate the semester:
- Online course support
- COVID-19 Student Health and Wellness
- COVID-19 testing information
- Fall 2020 Return to campus information
- Fall 2020 Housing FAQs
Making an Advising Appointment:
- Prior to making an advising appointment, evaluate whether your question can be quickly answered by emailing your advisor or our general advising email at firstname.lastname@example.org to expedite a response.
- Drop-in hours have been suspended until further notice to reduce traffic and to practice social distancing.
- NEXUS appointments: Students are asked to make advising appointments in NEXUS. Students will have the option to designate their meeting as in-person or virtual; virtual meetings will take place via UConn WebEx. You will need access to a computer and/or reliable internet (i.e. cell phone) for your virtual advising appointment. If you do not have access to a computer or reliable internet, please email the Advising Center at email@example.com to discuss alternate options.
IMPORTANT: Please choose from the following options when making your NEXUS appointment. Note that appointments will be available for either in-person or virtual meetings. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH FORMAT YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR! Missed appointments for not understanding your scheduled format will need to be rescheduled.
- Advisee Appointment: Allied Health Sciences majors are asked to make advising appointments with their assigned academic advisor. The appointment link to meet with your assigned advisor has not changed. If you access the NEXUS system (i.e. if you do not use your advisor’s unique link), you will be directed to “Schedule appointment > search by name> choose your advisor." Then choose “Advisee Appointment” when scheduling an in-person or virtual appointment. These appointments are accessible only to assigned advisees.
- Non-Advisee Appointment: Prospective students or students meeting with an advisor they're not assigned to are asked to make a Non-Advisee Appointment. Select “Non-Advisee Appointment”. The system will provide you with a list of available in-person or virtual appointments by day, time, and advisor.
- Virtual Only Appointments: Advisors will be offering virtual appointments when they are not physically on campus. This option will only allow you to make virtual appointments.
Note regarding virtual appointments: The confirmation email contains the WebEx link for the appointment. Please aim to arrive to the WebEx digital “lobby” a few minutes early in case you experience technical difficulties. At the time of your appointment, your advisor will admit you to the WebEx room. If you are more than 10 minutes late to the appointment, you will be required to reschedule via NEXUS.
Note regarding in-person appointments: Students arriving to the Advising Center must adhere to university indoor masking and social distancing policies. Therefore, please be sure you arrive with a mask. Students not wearing a properly positioned mask will be asked to reschedule their appointment. For your safety, other visitors, and Center advisors, we appreciate your consideration of this mandate.