Program Assistant 1 - Allied Health Sciences
The Department of Allied Health Sciences at the University of Connecticut is seeking a dynamic, creative, and well-organized team player to serve as Program Assistant 1. Working under the direction of the Business Services Supervisor, the incumbent will be a key member of the front office staff and provide responsible administrative and programmatic support for the Department’s academic programs, Advising Center, and main office. The Program Assistant will also play a critical role in developing and maintaining community relationships with experiential learning sites for the Allied Health Sciences undergraduate major and professional programs.
About the Department
The Department of Allied Health Sciences has a vibrant, multidisciplinary faculty dedicated to advancing knowledge through research, teaching, advising, and community engagement. The Department has been in a period of expansion, recruiting 10 new faculty in recent years to meet growing student needs. The Department is now embarking on an initiative to offer the Allied Health Sciences major on UConn’s regional Waterbury campus. With 30 faculty, over 750 undergraduates (40% of whom are non-white), 30 post-baccalaureate students, and 30 graduate students, we actively engage in educating and training the next generation of health professionals. The Department offers an undergraduate major in Allied Health Sciences with multiple concentrations; three nationally-accredited professional programs (Dietetics, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Diagnostic Genetic Sciences); four post-baccalaureate programs (Diagnostic Genetic Sciences, Dietetic Internship, Medical Laboratory Sciences, and Occupational Safety & Health), two master’s programs (Health Promotion Sciences, Health Care Genetics); and a PhD program in Health Promotion Sciences. Department faculty conduct grant-funded research in obesity, HIV/AIDS, digital health, behavioral genomics, nutrition, food policy, health disparities, cancer and cardiovascular disease prevention, women’s health, big data and research methodologies, and public/community-engaged health. Diversity is one of UConn’s core values, and our Department strives to be an inclusive educational institution that attracts, retains, and values talented people from all backgrounds.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for supervisor, academic programs, advising center, and others in Department as assigned
- Assist with external student placements for experiential learning including clinical compliance monitoring, placement schedules, student tracking, evaluations, reporting, etc.
- Assist in developing and maintaining external placement relationships with sites and preceptors including recruitment, training, communication, and reporting; occasional travel to sites may be required
- Assist with admissions process for undergraduate major, professional programs, graduate programs, and post-baccalaureate certificate programs
- Maintain databases of student, faculty, program, and clinical placement information
- Assist in tracking post-graduation placements and employer surveys as well as alumni relations
- Prepare narrative and informational reports which require gathering and compiling data, organizing information, and offering conclusions
- Draft and/or edit routine correspondence and other documents for supervisor’s review and/or signature
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience and 1-3 years of experience in a responsible administrative or program support position in a health-related discipline
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish relationships with a variety of constituents, both internal and external to the University
- Ability to work independently and regularly exercise judgement regarding administrative/programmatic detail and procedures
- Ability to problem solve, expertly manage time and deadlines, and juggle multiple priorities
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Must be willing and able to travel to various location throughout the region
- Bachelor’s degree in health-related discipline
- Experience working in higher education and/or a healthcare setting, laboratory, or other scientific environment
- Experience in community outreach/networking
- Experience managing databases and preparing reports
- Experience working with diverse populations
This is a full-time, twelve-month position with an excellent benefits package. Salary will be in the low-to-mid-forties.
Interested candidates should apply online via UConn jobs (jobs.uconn.edu), Staff positions, search #494342 to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references (including title, organization/company, phone, and e-mail). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until March 19, 2020. To ensure full consideration, applications should be submitted no later than March 19, 2020.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.