MLS Certificate - Admissions & Applications
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Admissions
The MLS certificate is a competitive program open to students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, molecular and cell biology, or a related subject from an accredited institution. Applications are due by February 1st for a start date the following January, but may be accepted until the program start date on a space-available basis. The program is limited to a maximum of 24 students per year (combined undergraduate and certificate program students). Please note: while you may complete course on a part-time basis during your first semester, you must enroll full-time your second semester due to the nature of lab courses and clinical rotations.
General Admission Requirements
- Prerequisite Science courses (overall science GPA of 2.7 or better is considered competitive)
- 2 semesters of General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Math (pre-calculus or higher)
- Anatomy & Physiology strongly suggested
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited institution
- Clarity of written communication
- Quality of references
- Overall GPA of 3.0 required by the UConn Graduate School for admission (2.6 GPA is considered provisional)
Additionally, though not required, the following may enhance your application:
- Optional Interview with the Program Director – A personal interview with the Program Director prior to submitting your application is recommended. This is especially true if you have an overall GPA under 3.0. Students with lower GPAs who demonstrate commitment to their studies and the potential for success in the field will be reviewed on an individual basis.
Certificate Application Information
The certificate in Medical Laboratory Sciences is only open to students who have earned (or will have earned) a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, molecular and cell biology, or a related subject area and who have completed appropriate prerequisite courses. For preferred consideration, applications are due by February 1 to begin the program the following January. Later applications may be considered on a space-available basis. Please consult the certificate admissions page for pre-requisite coursework and other admissions criteria.
- Online Graduate School Application
Field of Study: “Medical Laboratory Sciences Post-Bacc Certificate”
- Transcripts for all institutions you have attended, whether or not you graduated from that institution
- 500-word Personal Statement (Personal Statement Information)
- Two Letters of Recommendation – one must be an academic recommendation, the second may be academic or professional (no personal references accepted)
- $75 non-refundable application fee payable by credit card or PayPal during the application process
All application materials become the property of the Department of Allied Health Sciences and cannot be returned to you after submission. Please keep copies of application materials for your own records.